Sunday 4 November 2012

'Winding your way down on Baker Street...': Gerry Rafferty and samsara

'Another year and then you'd be happy.  Just one more year and then you'd be happy.  But you're cryin, you're cryin now'

I took this photograph exiting the underground at Baker Street station. I didn't have time to compose the shot and missed the persons head, though I don't think it spoils the image too much. I like the geometry, the vertical bars of the fencing, the horizontal axis of the track. Once I uploaded it I couldn't help but think about the Gerry Rafferty single Baker Street, and made a rush for You Tube to listen to it again, playing it several times over at a high volume.  It's got to be one of the the most perfect pop songs ever recorded and captures perfectly complex emotions and behaviour we all may be familiar with: the hope for a better life (giving up addictions, settling down) and the compulsion to stay where we are, caught in rebirth, repeating ourselves and our suffering endlessly, in Rafferty's case through alcoholism. Samsara! This song doesn't seem to age and if anything becomes more poignant the more you listen to it as you get older. Bitter, sweet and wonderfully human. When I hear the rapturous saxophone riff I'm magically transported back to a very particular time and place in 1978...'another crazy day...'