Thursday 24 May 2012

Family tree

Rock-a-bye baby

I love old postcards, and this one pictured below, a recent acquisition is one of my favorites.


New technology is great-it enables me to send this message and image to you but the declining popularity of the handwritten postcard saddens me.  This lovely surreal image is I think early 20th century. I can't be certain of the date as the stamp has been removed. It's addressed to Miss N. Jeffery, Ye Olde Vaux Hall, Tonbridge, Kent ( which I understand from a google search is a listed building and old inn still in use).  There's no message, no caption to the card, and it's signed simply 'Charles'. What was his intended message, and how was this received?  Wishful thinking or prophecy?
And what of the little babes featured here?  What happened to them?

No comments: